15010 here we come!!
Fun facts about Beaver Falls, PA and Geneva College
- Originally called Brighton, Beaver Falls was chartered as a borough in 1868.
- In the 1870s, Beaver Falls was home to a Chinatown and had as many as 200 Chinese residents.
- The city is best known in fiction as the setting of the television situation comedy Mr. Belvedere.
- The modern sports nickname of Golden Tornadoes commemorates the “Golden Tornado” of May 11, 1914 when a major tornado struck the college, most notably taking the gold colored roof from the top of Old Main, which was the origin of the associated color. Although the storm caused significant damage to the campus, there were no serious injuries.
- The Birthplace of College Basketball: The world’s first recorded college basketball game occurred in the city on April 8, 1893 when the intramural team from Geneva College defeated the New Brighton YMCA.
- Joe Namath was born in Beaver Falls, PA.
For more information and details about Synod 2019, click here.